jueves, noviembre 01, 2007

+que_toys: stefan jolet

Stefan Jolet is a graphic designer and illustrator based in Lafayette, Louisiana. He specializes in digital artwork, much of which is dedicated to goofy animals, robots and monsters with big teeth. In his spare time time, Stefan enjoys watching movies, reading comics and playing video games with his son, Alex. You can visit his website at stefanjolet.com .

H: How long have you been illustrating, how'd you get into it?
Some of my earliest memories are of scribbling in coloring books. I've been drawing all my life.

How would you define your style?
I like to think of my style as geared towards stuff that kids would like, but often with an odd or unusual twist. I always try not to go with my first concept for an illustration, because it's usually the laziest one. And I normally try incorporate some type of texture in my work.

Any artist that you would recommend?
There's tons of artists that come to mind, but I really love Mike Mignola. Best. Artist. Ever. Also, I really dig Kody Chamberlain and Rob Guillory, two local art buddies of mine who are killer in their own way.

The future of Stefan Jolet consists of... Tons more illustrations. Children's books. Perhaps some toys. And maybe, just maybe, some comics… Actually, I'm working on one now in my spare time. Look for it in 2025. :)



++++ español ++++

H: ¿Cuánto tiempo llevas ilustrando y cómo empezaste?
Algunos de mis primeros recuerdos han sido materializados en cuadernos de dibujo. Llevo dibujando toda mi vida.

¿Cómo definirías tu estilo?
Me gustaría pensar que mi estilo está orientado hacia cosas que le gustan a los niños, pero a menudo con un giro poco habitual. Trato siempre de no trabajar sobre la primera idea que tengo ya que a menudo suele ser la más fácil. Normalmente trato de incorporar algún tipo de textura en mis trabajos.

¿Algún artista que te gustaría recomendarnos?
Hay muchos artistas que me vienen a la cabeza, pero el que realmente me encanta es Mike Mignola. El mejor artista de todos los tiempos. También me gustan Kody Chamberlain y Rob Guillory.

El futuro de Stefan Jolet consiste en… muchas más ilustraciones. Libros para niños. Quizás algún toy. Y quién sabe… un cómic. Realmente, estoy trabajando en uno en mi tiempo libre… buscarlo en el 2025.