martes, octubre 30, 2007

+que_toys: oni

Oni is a computer animator, digital artist, and fashion model based out of Orlando, Florida. Tired of the entertainment business, Oni has decided to focus on her artwork. Her creations, inspired by traditional Japanese mythology and art, are often described as charming, whimsical, and seductive. Her character art is a glimpse at a futuristic, steam-punk world, reminiscent of a mix between Hayao Miyazaki, Katsuhiro Otomo, and Shinichiro Wantanabe. Her characters are said to be influenced by their own soundtrack of life.

Using the rapid-prototyping technique, Oni has produced various vinyl toy prototypes for Dave Quiles, Spider, and Nakanari (teammates from Agi Agi), as well as digital models for major architectural projects, and mass-market toys for children’s shows. She plans to eventually produce her own line of high-end vinyl toys and plush. Some of her custom and prototypes have been on display at the Peanut Butter Jellyfish show at Uberbot, the Short Fuse exhibit for Project Vinyl, Necromantic at Pink Ghost, and Bubble Pop!.

Right now, Oni is heading up an animation team that is creating several animated shorts, starring a character based on her own likeness. The shorts will appear in five-minute episodes that will only be available on the Agi Agi website, weloveagiagi.com.

In her free time, Oni enjoys collecting rare medieval weapons, caring for exotic pets, and clubbing

H: Who and what inspires you? why?
I’m very much inspired by traditional Chinese and Japanese art. Japanese artists like Katsushika Hokusai, Toyohara Kunichika, Kitagawa Utamaro, Kikugawa Eizan, and Yoshitoshi are all amazing and inspiring people. Some Chinese artists I enjoy are Meng Xiangshun, Lui Dawei, Ma Yuan, Li Cheng, and many, many more. I highly recommend that everyone checks these guys out. Their art is really enjoyable, and I think that a lot of the people who like modern anime can go back and really appreciate where the style originated from.

How would you define your style?
If I had to narrow it down into three words, I’d have to say playful, seductive, and whimsical. I am always sure to give my art some sort of story behind it. I like to let the viewer figure out what that story is. It’s always amusing to hear what sort of things people come up when they look at my art.

Any artist that you would like to recommend?
I’m going to plug my team on this one and say, Agi Agi! The team consists of Spider, Dave “Outta My Mind” Quiles, Nakanari, and myself. The four of us make a power-house team that can tackle any sort of task from 3D animation, to highly complex plush toys, to amazing prints and paintings, to rapid prototyping, to acrylic sculptures, to traditional sculpture, to casting, to digital art, and etching metal. We work really hard. Outside my group, I really like Tara McPherson, Tokidoki, Kozik, Jhonen Vasquez, Nanase Ohkawa, Mokona Apapa, Mick Nekoi, and Satsuki Igarashi (from the manga team, CLAMP), and the animators at Production I.G.

What are you working on at the moment?
I’m gearing up for next year! Planning events, different plush and toys I want to make, working with our web designer to finish up the Agi Agi website , and of course, planning more art pieces! I’m a very busy woman, but I love every minute of it! Next year is going to be a lot of fun!




++++ español ++++

H: ¿Quién y qué te inspira? ¿Por qué?
Me inspira el arte tradicional Chino y Japonés. Artistas japoneses como Katsushika Hokusai, Toyohara Kunichika, Kitagawa Utamaro, Kikugawa Eizan y Yoshitoshi; todos son artistas maravillosos y resultan muy inspiradores. Algunos artistas chinos que me gustan son Meng Xiangshun, Lui Dawei, Ma Yuan, Li Cheng y muchos, muchos más. Recomiendo a todo el mundo que eche un vistazo a sus trabajos. Su arte es muy divertido y creo que mucha gente a la que le gusta el anime moderno puede apreciar los orígenes de su estilo.

¿Cómo definirías tu estilo?
Si lo tuviera que definirlo en tres palabras serían: juguetón, divertido y caprichoso. Me gusta dar a mi arte un historia y dejar al espectador que se figure cual es esta. Me resulta agradable escuchar las cosas que la gente dice sobre mi trabajo.

¿Algún artista que te gustaría recomendarnos?
Voy a enchufar a mi equipo y decir Agi Agi. El equipo está compuesto por Spider, Dave “Outta My Mind” Quiles, Nakanari y yo. Los cuatro hacemos animaciones en 3D, peluches, pinturas, esculturas (acrílicas y tradicionales), arte digital… Trabajamos muy duro. También me gusta el trabajo de Tara McPherson, Tokidoki, Kozik, Jhonen Vasquez, Nanase Ohkawa, Mokona Apapa, Mick Nekoi, Satsuki Igarashi…

¿En qué estás trabajando últimamente?
Muchos eventos, muñecos de peluche, toys… Trabajar con nuestro diseñador web para acabar la web de Agi Agi y, por supuesto, más arte! Soy una mujer muy ocupada y me encanta lo que hago. El próximo año va a ser muy divertido.