martes, octubre 16, 2007

+que_toys: laura bath

Laura makes up one half of design team Indescribble with Mike ‘Pastyboy’ Lawrence. They both live and work in the wild west of England feverishly drawing away. Her work ranges from illustration and graphic design to handmade crafts and plush. Some of her illustration and characters can be found in the likes of the Pictoplasma Character encyclopaedia and designer toy mag Clutter and her greeting cards and crafts are sold in various shops across the UK. She enjoys nothing more than creating little creatures, doodling away and dreaming of her next big project.

H: How long have you been illustrating, how'd you get into it?
I completed my illustration degree in 2004 and have been drawing, painting and designing ever since. It's not been easy finding my path to illustrating happiness. I still don't think I've quite got 'into it' but I finally feel I'm on my way and have settled into my style. I've learnt that you have to be really proactive to get work and confidence is a big factor.

How would you define your style and approach to your work?
My style of work varies a little depending on projects but it’s very much influenced by the Japanese character culture. It’s pure escapism. I try to inject humour and fun into it because, lets face it, in a world of such stresses and darkness we all need somewhere to go to get some fun. I look at people for inspiration, humans are the funniest things. We do and say the most absurd things without realising it and I like to capture that.

Any artist that you would like to recommend?
There are so many talented artists out there it's impossible to choose… yet again, I could be here all day. People like Mike and Katie at Tado & Jon Burgerman had a big influence on me when I was studying. Jeremiah Ketner produces beautiful work, as does Jeff Soto, Susie Ghahremani... the list is endless.

What are you working on at the moment?
I'm doing some wedding stationery for a friend at the moment, which is a really special project for me. I've been working on some greeting cards, new paintings and hand-cut silhouettes too. My Partner in Indescribble has been teaching me to screen print for the first time and I'm really enjoying it so look out for some t-shirts and stuff in the future :)



++++ español +++++


Laura Bath es la mitad del equipo de diseño Indescribble junto con Mike ‘Pastyboy’ Ambos viven y trabajan en el salvaje oeste de Inglaterra y dibujan compulsivamente. Su trabajo abarca desde la ilustración y el diseño gráfico hasta los peluches y demás cosas hechas a mano. Algunos de sus personajes se pueden encontrar en ‘ The Character Encyclopaedia’ de Pictoplasma y la revista inglesa especializa en el movimiento de art toys, Clutter. Sus tarjetas de felicitación y otras cosillas hechas a manos se venden en numerosas tiendas de Inglaterra. A Laura le encanta crear personajes, dibujar sin parar y soñar con su próximo gran proyecto.

H: ¿Cuánto tiempo llevas ilustrando y como empezaste?
Acabé mis estudios de ilustración en 2004 y, desde entonces, no he parado de dibujar, pintar y diseñar. No es fácil encontrar el camino de retratar la felicidad mediante la ilustración. Todavía no creo que este bastante en él pero si me siento que estoy en la dirección correcta y estoy creando mi propio estilo. Tengo comprobado que debe de ser muy proactivo para conseguir trabajo; la seguridad en uno mismo es también un factor importante.

¿Cómo definirías tu estilo?
Mi estilo de trabajo varía un poco dependiendo del proyecto pero está fuertemente influenciado por la cultura japonesa. Es una manera de evadirme. Trato de inyectar humor y diversión para hacer frente a este mundo de estrés y oscuridad en el que estamos. Todos necesitamos divertirnos!!!! Me inspiro en las personas; los humanos son las cosas más divertidas. Nosotros hacemos y decimos las cosas más absurdas sin darnos cuenta y a mí me encanta retratar eso.

¿Algún artista que quieras recomendarnos?
Hay tantos artistas que me es imposible elegir. Podría estar todo el día. Gente como Mike y Katie de TADO y Jon Burgerman son una gran influencia cuando era estudiante. También me gusta Jeremiah Ketner, Jeff Soto, Susie Ghahremani… las lista no tendría fin.

¿En qué estás trabajando ahora mismo?
Estoy haciendo cosillas para una boda de una amiga, lo que es muy especial para mí. También he estado trabajando en algunas tarjetas de felicitación, nuevas pinturas y siluetas cortadas a mano. Mi compañero de Indescribble me está enseñando a hacer serigrafía… probablemente habrá camisetas y más cosas en el futuro.