domingo, septiembre 17, 2006

entrevista ** alfredo mejía

Alfredo Mejia is a filmmaker, designer and illustrator born in Mexico City in the mid 80's, he grew up inspired by the multi-cultural canvas of the city, other countries, music and television. His fascination for motion graphics, magazines and photography has taken him to taste all areas of media design, and even expand to new horizons such as fashion and toy making. In 2004 he moved to the United States and teamed up with designer Ella to launch the design collaborative Supernova!

His work ranges from broadcast design, fashion illustration, web design, interactive, photography and has been used for magazines, television and advertising.

H: First of all, can you please introduce yourself to the Le Toy audience?

Hello Le Toy audience, my name is Alfredo Mejia, I am a Mexican designer, illustrator and motion artist currently based in Houston TX. I am 21 years old and I eat ice cream in a regular basis, usually with cherries and marshmallows.

H: Who and what inspires you? why?

I get my inspiration from Television mostly, street art, magazines, friends, etc. I guess it changes pretty much every week it can be an artist, a musician or something I saw on the internet. The world has unlimited sources of inspiration.

If I should recall one person as an inpiration would be Andy Warhol, because he did everything he wanted , he worked in many mediums, and I see that as a vitamin to my brain, to persue what I want to do, no matter what.

H: How would you define your style and approach to your work?

It can get cute sometimes. But I don’t think I have particular a style, its diverse. People often say it is very clean, playful, colorful, fun, so I guess it’s delicious.

H: Your work spans many different mediums, are you very open to experimentation?

Of course, if its something I want to try I will go for it. It just depends of the person and the experiment. I’m very picky.

H: What difficulties did you encountered when you started working on a 3D aspect of one of your creations ? Tell us more details about Tamo figure.

Well Tamo is my first vinyl figure, Andy from CrazyLabel approached me and we starting gathering some ideas. At that time I had just finished a painting for my girlfriend, in which I wanted to represent her feminity and cuteness at the same time. I sent a drawing to Andy as the basic idea.

Andy really did a fantastic job, he understood perfectly every angle of the character. He was the one who made Tamo a 3D piece. One of the problems we found at the beginning was the neck, it was too thin and we had to bump it up a bit so it won’t break.

H: Do you like to work alone, collaborate or sometimes do either on your work?

I like working alone, but I am always looking for people to work with, so I guess it contradicts a lot, but most of the sometimes I end up alone anyway. I like to get a different perspective on the projects, but I really have to like the person.

H: You are the co-ordinator and driving force behind Milk Pop Magazine… Tell us about it. What`s about design collaborative Supernova?

Well Supernova! is the name under which with my girlfriend and I work together, it is also the name/brand behind milkpop. I had the idea for a while in my head to make an online magazine, that is small and very straight forward, and it started as little website for us to share with friends what we like, and what we think it’s cool. It ended up as a more serious thing, and now we get emails from artist all over the world. It has become a source of inspiration too, I surf the internet and bookstores looking for great artists to include so I guess I now collect artists.

H: What sets you apart from other artists who are trying to do similar stuff to yours?

I don’t know anybody who actually wants to be like me, I guess is the other way. If somebody wants to be like me they should send me an email telling me why.
I just love what I do, and still there are many things I haven’t done, but there is the secret ingredient of joy in my work.

H: What music forms the soundtrack of your life?

I don’t think there is enough space to make a list so I’ll go with the few that come to my head right now … Radiohead, Bjork, Oasis, Muse, Bloc Party, Jon Brion, Phoenix, Zero 7, Fiona Apple is fantastic, Kasabian, and always the beatles.

H: Is there any work that you just wouldn't take on, be it for personal, professional or ethical reasons?

It has not happened yet.

H: What would be your absolute ultimate dream design project?

I have a big list hahaha, but a hotel is in there something architectural.
Also I would love to re-design the programming on MTV here in the United States, it sucks so bad, pisses me off!

H: Tell us about your plans for the next months, what will you be up to?

Well Tamo is there, some shows are there too, and a new motion graphics studio with a friend I really admire from Mexico City. I will be very busy, also trying to stay in the U.S. will take a lot of my time.

++++++++ español ++++++++

Alfredo Mejía es un director de cine, diseñador e ilustrador nacido en Méjico a mediados de los ochenta que creció inspirado por el multicultural paisaje de la ciudad, otros países, música y TV. Su fascinación por los ‘motion graphics’ revistas y fotografía le llevan a probar diferentes áreas del diseño para la comunicación e incluso expandirse a nuevos horizontes como la moda y el diseño de toys. En 2004 se mudó a los EEUU y creo un equipo junta a la diseñadora Ella para lanzar el proyecto Supernova.

Su trabajo va desde la ilustración de moda, diseño web, fotografía… y ha sido usado para revistas, TV y publicidad.

H: Lo primero de todo, ¿puedes presentarte a los lectores de Letoy?

Hola lectores de Letoy, me llamo Alfredo Mejía, soy un diseñador mexicano, ilustrador y ‘motion artist’ que actualmente reside en Houston TX. Tengo 21 años y como helado diariamente, normalmente con cerezas y marshmallows.

H: ¿Quién y que te inspira? ¿Por qué?

Me inspiro sobre todo en la TV, arte urbano, revistas, amigos… Supongo que cambia cada semana y puede ser un artista, un músico o algo que vi en internet. El mundo tiene infinitas fuentes de inspiración.

Si tuviera que nombrar una persona que me inspire sería Andy Warhol, porque hizo todo lo que quiso, trabajo en mucho medios y esto estimula mi cerebro, perseguir todo lo quiero hacer sin importarme el qué.

H: ¿Cómo definirías tu estilo y tu trabajo?

Este puede ser bonito a veces. Pero, no creo que tenga un estilo concreto, varía. La gente dice a menudo que es limpio, juguetón, colorido, divertido… supongo que es delicioso.

Tu trabajo está orientado a diferentes medios, ¿estás abierto a la experimentación?

Por supuesto, si hay algo que quiero intentar iré a por ello. Sólo depende de la persona y experimento. Soy muy selectivo.

H:¿Qué dificultades has encontrado al llevar tus creaciones a 3D? Cuéntanos más detalles sobre la figura Tamo.

Bien, Tamo es mi primera figura de vinilo. Andy de Crazy Label se puso en contacto conmigo y empezamos a barajar algunas ideas. En aquél momento acaba de acabar una pintura para mi novia en la quise representar su feminidad y belleza a la vez. Entonces, envié un dibujo a Andy con la idea básica.

Andy hizo un trabajo increíble. Entendió perfectamente cada aspecto del personaje. El fue el que hizo el modelado de Tamo en 3D. Uno de los problemas que encontramos al principio fue el cuello. Era demasiado fino y tuvimos que aumentarlo un poco para que no rompiera.

H: ¿Te gusta trabajar solo, colaborar con otras personas o ambas cosas?

Me gusta trabajar solo, pero siempre busco alguien con colaborar. Supongo que se contradice un poco pero la mayoría de las veces acabo solo de todas las maneras. Me gusta obtener diferentes perspectivas en los proyectos, pero me tiene que caer realmente bien la persona.

H: Eres el coordinador y una de las mentes creativas de Milk Pop Magazine. Cuéntanos más sobre ello. Y, ¿el proyecto de diseño Supernova?

Supernova es el nombre bajo el cual mi chica y yo trabajamos juntos. También es la marca detrás de Milk Pop. Tuve la idea de hacer una revista on-line que fuera directa y pequeña y lo que empezó como una web en la que podíamos compartir con amigos lo que nos gustaba, terminó siendo algo más serio. Ahora, recibimos e-mails de artistas de todas las partes del mundo. También se ha convertido en una fuente de inspiración. Navego por Internet y librerías buscando artistas a lo que incluir, así que supongo que ahora es como si coleccionara artistas.

H: ¿Qué te diferencia de otros artistas que hacen cosas similares a las que tú haces?

No conozco a nadie que quiera ser como yo. Supongo que suele ser al contrario. Si alguien quisiera ser como yo debería enviarme un e-mail diciéndome porqué. Simplemente me gusta lo que hago y todavía hay muchas cosas que no he hecho.

H: ¿Qué música forma la banda sonora de tu vida?

No creo que haya suficiente espacio para hacer una lista así que estos son lo primeros que vienen a mi cabeza: Radiohead, Bjork, Oasis, Muse, Bloc Party, Jon Brion, Phoenix, Zero 7, Fiona Apple, Kasabian y por supuesto los beatles.

H: ¿Hay algún trabajo que no harías por razones personales, profesionales o éticas?

Aún no ha sucedido.

H: ¿Cuál sería tu proyecto de diseño soñado/deseado?

Tengo una gran lista… pero un hotel figuraría en ella, algo de arquitectura. Además, me gustaría rediseñar la programación de la MTV en USA. Es tan mala que me cabrea.

H: Dinos cuales van a ser tus proyectos para los próximos meses, ¿qué tienes en mente?

Bueno, Tamo está ahí, algunas exposiciones también y un nuevo estudio de ‘motion graphics’ con un amigo al que realmente admiro de Mexico City. Estaré muy ocupado. Intentar permanecer en USA sin duda llevará gran parte de mi tiempo.

4 Comentarios:

Blogger TCLY 07 dice...

Alfredo es una artista sumamente bueno..su estilo es impresionante y lo mejor es que es MEXICANO!

9:08 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo dice...

the programming on MTV here in the United States, it sucks so bad, pisses me off! --ak


me gusto la entrevista y mas las respuestas...
sabes que soy fan
respeto y admiro mucho tu trabajo
2d&3d\\




:*

4:42 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo dice...

ola soy la hermanita de pamela y creo ke tu eres alfredo ya vi tu pag
esta exelente justo lo ke ami me gusta^^
jej me hize un blogger desde hace muxxo pero nose komo
ponerle todos los diseños bueno sayo¡

1:19 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo dice...

le falto decir en su musica faborita a marilyn manson
no por nada soi su prima y lo conosco
me siento muy orullosa de tener un primo tan exitoso

1:32 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home